CMI Education Policy Statement
1. We, the Carmelites of Mary Immaculate, after the example of our founder Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara, consider education a transformative process of the human persons for the fulfilment of their individual and social responsibilities. It is a spiritual, humanizing and liberating activity.
2. We shall aspire towards creating a just and humane society where dignity of the human person is respected, where unjust social structures are challenged, where our cultural heritage of ahimsa, religious harmony and national integration is upheld, and where the poor and the marginalized are specially taken care of.
3. We shall aim at implementing a merit cum means scholarship programme for students from economically and socially backward and vulnerable families.
4. We shall strictly implement the CMI policy for the Protection of Children and Vulnerable adults and CMI Policy for the Prevention of Sexual Harassment at Workplace, to ensure safety of the children entrusted to our care as well as women who are either our collaborators or beneficiaries of various projects and institutions, and shall collaborate with the civil society to protect them from abuse and harassment, and prevent such crimes in our communities and institutions.
5. We shall resolve to uphold the spirit of “Laudato Si”, Fundamental Duties of Indian Constitution (Article 51A.g) and similar other national policies. The CMI educational institutions shall be declared eco – friendly and shall be ‘green protocol’, compliant as per the international standards. Every effort is made to protect Mother Earth, Our Common Home.
6. We shall resolve to establish a media centre for fostering unity and harmony in the Society in the light of Fratelli Tutti (FT191) which speaks of ‘fundamentalist intolerance damaging relationship between individuals, groups and peoples’, and with a view of making our media apostolate more effective.
7. We shall resolve to offer free/partial education to the third child of deserving parents, if the other two siblings are also enrolled in the same institution.
8. We shall promote greater openness, transparency and accountability in education by Public Disclosure of school information, and documents in the school website.
9. We shall strive to reach out to the needy schools in the vicinity of our institutions, by supporting them with better educational facilities, where it is found relevant.
10. We shall practice gender sensitivity and promote inclusive education in all our educational institutions based on the principles of equity and equality.
11. We shall encourage the positive views of social media. We may explore the domain of the new media and to establish in a significant manner in the virtual world of communication. After the example of our founder Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara, we revamp the new digital and social media apostolates.
12. We resolve to pay reasonable salary to the staff of our institutions conforming to certain basic norms and directions of the Government.
13. We shall make earnest efforts to revive and strengthen a culture of dialogue, harmony and universal fraternity among members of diverse faith traditions.
14. We shall setup a guidance and counselling cell attached to our educational institutions to help the youth, children and families to tide over the stress caused by their life situations.
15. We shall identify the following three major thrust in our education field for the next ten years.
· Compassionate love for the poor.
· Care for Mother Earth -Our common home
· Social and Digital media